Visual entertainment runs its gamut in many people’s daily lives—and television is at the center of it. Lately, tech giant Apple join the fray by introducing its exceptional streaming device running on equally exceptional tvOS—Apple TV. If you are one of the many who have the joy of owning one, or considering one, here’s a comprehensive Apple TV guide for you to start enjoyment anew.
What’s In An Apple TV Box?
Each box comes with an Apple TV streaming box, a Siri remote control, a power cord, and a lightning-to-USB cable. When you buy or receive one as gift, you might easily notice its major upgrade as it now runs on a 64-bit A8 processor complimented with a RAM of 2GB and Wi-Fi 802.11ac—all at 1080p resolution Storage options of 32GB or 64GB is also included.
Siri Remote. The Siri remote control maintains the usual menu-and-play/pause buttons but have an easy-return home button that allows you to return to the main menu bearing the main screen, the volume controls, touchpad, embedded click , and Siri functionality with a single push. Designed specifically to ease one’s navigation on its keyboard, interface and apps, it can also be utilized as a motion-sensitive horizontal game controller for apps and games.
Voice Search. The Siri feature also allows voice search. It helps search for favorite shows, events, sports scores, the stock market, play music, access apps, and many more with its voice recognition capabilities.
Other controllers. If Siri remote doesn’t sit well with your tech-y taste, there are other accessories which you may add to your package. There are universal remotes made compatible with the Apple TV and a MFi (made for iPhone) game controllers as well as Bluetooth keyboards and headphones for better control. iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touch can also be used as an auxiliary controller.
Interface. Apple TV (4th gen) is currently powered by tvOS, set-top version of iOS and has an interface in off-white complimented with huge colorful rectangular icons. When tapped, this icons display in parallax. On the Home screen’s top row lies the “top shelf”. This shelf allows at most 6 apps for you to store. Additionally, this shelf also display content preview. All other apps can be found below the Top Shelf. To move app, select, click and hold as well as release and swipe to move up/down or side-to-side.
Apps. Every Apple TV comes with apps such as iTunes movies, iTunes TV shows, The App Store, music, computers, search, photos and settings. To save, check for apps under “universal bundles.” Be reminded though that apps limited local storage due to Apple TV’s on-demand resources mechanism leaving your storage space worry-free.
What You’ll Need
To successfully set-up an Apple TV set top box, there are also other must-haves not included in your box. These include the following:
- HDMI cable
- HDTV with HDMI ports
- Internet connection (wireless or wired)
- iTunes store account
How to Set-Up
To set-up, simply follow these easy-to-do steps:
- Simply plug the Apple TV box into power and, if connected via wired connection, connect it to the router using an Ethernet cable, too.
- Connect the HDMI cable to your Apple TV’s back slot. If there’s a receiver, connect the other end to it while connecting the HDTV and receiver using another HDMI cable.
- Get paired and connect via remote by pressing “touch surface” when the Pair Your Remote Screen props up. For a seemingly unconnected remote, try pressing and holding the menu and volume up buttons for a few seconds.
- Pick the language settings and country. You will also be asked to use Siri.
- To finish, pick Set Up With Device or Set Up Manually. To set up your Apple TV using an iOS device, unlock it and ensure that Bluetooth is on and you’re connected to a strong Wi-Fi connection. Set the iOS device next to the Apple TV. Choose “set up Apple TV” and tap to continue. Finish the underlying steps on your iOS device.
Bonus Points: Important Reminder
When buying an Apple TV, one gets to enjoy 3 months of complimentary phone technical support. A one-year warranty also applies to all devices and accessories.
Indeed, this small box of a streaming device offers excellent entertainment value. Now, you get to enjoy more entertainment choices at such vivid detail. With this comprehensive Apple TV guide, you can finally use such an awesome device to add fun into your family’s daily lives.